Boy punished at school for refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance

Posted May 8, 2014 1:37 pm by with 21 comments

Mason Michalec says he loves his country but just not the government.

“I’m really tired of our government taking advantage of us,” said Michalec. “I don’t agree with the NSA spying on us. And I don’t agree with any of those Internet laws.”

That’s why he’s taken a pledge of sorts to not say the Pledge of Allegiance with classmates.

“I’ve basically said it from the time I was in kindergarten to earlier this year and that’s when I decided I was done saying it.”

For the most this year, his silent protest has gone unnoticed. But on Wednesday, when a different teacher observed it for the very first time, the Needville High School sophomore ran into trouble.

“And she told me this is my classroom,” said Michalec. “This is the principal’s request. You’re going to stand. And I still didn’t stand and she said she was going to write me up.”

Michalec says the principal sentenced him to two days of in school suspension, and warned that he could face more ISS if his protest continued.

It’s a consequence the 15-year-old seems prepared to face.

“And I think it’s time that people do something for themselves and stop taking whatever’s handed to them,” said Michalec. “I’m angry and frustrated and annoyed that they would try to write me up for something I have the right to do.”

According to KHOU 11 News legal expert attorney Gerald Treece, the sanctions imposed by the school appear to violate Michalec’s first amendment rights.

Officials with the school district could not be reached for comment

Loading Facebook Comments ...

21 responses to Boy punished at school for refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance

1. Boy punished at school for refusing to stand for Pledge of Allegiance | Beat the rich May 8th, 2014 at 2:07 pm

[…] …read more […]

• Ruth Bennett May 9th, 2014 at 6:15 am

I am on a local school board. I stand in respect for the others board, staff and parents, but with my hands at my side and silently. I do get some funny looks, but I agree with this brave young man.

2. Hale Cerman May 8th, 2014 at 2:35 pm

When I read a story like this coming from a 15 year old I can’t help but smile and thing that maybe there is still hope for America. I had given up on America over a decade ago.

3. Michael May 8th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Three cheers for this young man not saying ” The Pledge”. It was written by a Socialist/Fascist to condition people to worship the State! see the link below.

Francis Bellamy & Edward Bellamy touted National Socialism and the police state in the USA decades before their dogma was exported to Germany. They influenced the NSDAP, its dogma, symbols and rituals. http://rexcurry.net/police-state.html

• Paris May 9th, 2014 at 4:45 am

Socialism is not fascism.

• Chewi May 9th, 2014 at 2:12 pm

:D

4. Justin Kingsley May 8th, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Good for him. This country has been usurped by Constitution hating globalists. Its time for We The People to take our country back. The spirit this kid has is great.

• Drito May 9th, 2014 at 9:01 am

How is pledging allegiance to the flag a globalist idea?

5. ErnieM May 8th, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I’d like to support him any way I can. I did that when I was in school. “the pledge” is stupid and totalitarian. Where’s the ACLU defending this man’s rights? Oh, right, they’re an organ of the totalitarian state now.

6. R.Sooriamoorthy May 8th, 2014 at 6:41 pm

That boy is absolutely admirable.
    That teacher and the principal are not fit to wipe his ass, but only to eat his shit.

7. Dave Wilber May 8th, 2014 at 9:40 pm

………………….There would be many……………..upset to know those 5 pointed stars represent….a Masonic symbol for Baphomet, a man’s body with a goat’s head and hoofs. 2 horns for 2 points and 2 points for the ears and 1 point for the goatee. Freemasonry is the second most powerful force on earth, second only to God. Their god is Lucifer and their religion is based on unfulfilled prophecy and their goal is to impose their religion on the world. Their success is seen in the millions who deny that all prophecy is fulfilled. Albert Pike was the highest Mason in American history. In 1871, he wrote <orals and Dogma, on pages 104 and 819 Pike said the higher Masons mislead those lower masons "who deserve to be misled." You should research the subject.

• kaleigh May 9th, 2014 at 7:33 am

baphomet actually has a woman’s body.

• Chewi May 9th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

As a Master Freemason with a square and compass tattoo, David, you’re crazy.

8. anpog May 9th, 2014 at 1:45 am

I will GLADLY stand with that child, and any other as he!

9. jonathan May 9th, 2014 at 5:24 am

Jehovah’s Witnesses set the standard for this and fought for the right not salute the flag in front of the Supreme Court in 1943…..
    West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette

10. Lyin Ryin More May 9th, 2014 at 7:41 am

This very good news. Way better than the kid with affluenza, its refreshing to know the next generation has kids with critical thinking skills, something the current education system is trying to make extinct. To his parents…THANK YOU, for raising a son that already at a young age shows he is brave and has character, a rare feat in todays world. Thank you.

11. Kirzen May 9th, 2014 at 8:16 am

DW

You might actually want to have even the slightest, most miniscule amount of research done about the masons before you spout idiotic crap.

1 – The use of the five pointed star to represent Baphomet is a bastardization of the symbol adopted by teenage “satanists”, and I use that term very liberally in this sense, given that satanists are often Luciferian and don’t worship Baphomet in the first place.

2 – The masons are a religious offshoot of ceremonial magicians. They’re much closer to the OTO or Rosicrucians, while there are ceremonial magicians that worship anti-christian entities, the masons aren’t one of them. If anything, they worship the celestial angels.

3 – While the history of the masons is convoluted and twisted in places, and while in some cases certain sects or leaders have absolutely misled the masses of lower members of the order, the masons have absolutely zero desire to “impose their religion on the world”, its an invite only super-secret christian magicians group… While they may or may not be loonies, they’re invite-only loonies once you get past the first level or two.

12. Emllyn May 9th, 2014 at 8:38 am

I will Pledge my Allegiance to the Flag, for the Republic this country Used to Be, and hopefully will be again. To all those above, I fail to see why you would want this kid to NOT say it. VERY Anti-American. Tell you what. If you don’t want to be here, get the F__K out!! Quit stalling. Get some B__lls and LEAVE!! Just saying, you chickens__ts!

• Chewi May 9th, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I’m tired of hearing this lame rant from your type. “If you don’t bleed red, white and blue, well don’t let the door hit you in the ass at the border! Yeee-haw!” On the contrary, it is VERY American to say “I don’t like it here.” Fixing your country, moving it toward idealism is the very heart of patriotism. Now I will say that I too don’t appreciate someone bitching about their situation and not doing anything about it. But the “This right here is ‘Murica, greatest country the almighty blessed upon this here planet, and if you don’t like it, welllll, just get the hell out!” You sound dumb. Brainwashed and dumb. AND it offers NOTHING to the plight we as a body of citizens face. You are voluntarily succumbing to the status quo via ousting the very patriots that take a stand and say “I don’t like it here” and attempt to make a better world than the current one we all reside in. So YOU, my neighbor, piss off, because this IS America and some of us want to make it greater.

13. forserious May 9th, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Socialism and Fascism are complete opposites, you should probably study them more.