3 Food Preservation Techniques For Long Term Storage
This procedure is also called “pasteurizing” and it works by heating the food at a specified temperature, for a certain amount of time. The resulted product is then vacuum-sealed in glass jars and stored. The canning method can be used on a variety of foods, which include:
- Prepared dishes
The products, which are preserved this way, can last for a period between five and eight years. However, with a little trick you can double that time and therefore, reduce your costsconsiderably. Here’s how to do it:
- Use your regular jam recipe, vegetable stew or desired seafood. Cook according to instructions.
- Once prepared, pour these mixtures into sterilized glass jars and use tight lids to cover them.
- Place the jars into a large pot and put old newspapers in between. This will reduce the risk of glass breaking during boiling.
- Pour enough tap water to cover three quarters of the jars’ height;
- Place the pot over medium heat and after the water starts boiling, let it simmer for ten minutes;
- Remove the pot from the heat and the jars from the pot;
- Let the jars cool down before storing them in a dark and moisture-free room.
With this method, you will be able to preserve food for periods longer than 10 years. Just imagine a crisis that long and still you would be able to enjoy canned foods rich in vitamins and vital nutrients.