Patriot Kitchen – Portabella Mushroom Pizza
As summer is approaching some of us are trying to eat healthier. Who really wants to give up pizza in their diet? I know I sure don’t!! I decided to try alternatives for pizza crust to cut out some of the carbs.
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (3 inches)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning,divided
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- your choice of toppings
- Remove and discard stems and gills from mushrooms; brush caps with oil. Place rounded sides down on an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 5 minutes.
- Spoon sauce onto mushrooms. Sprinkle with your toppings and cheese and. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is bubbly. Yield: 4 servings.
Here is how this went for me.
I made 4 aluminum rings for the mushrooms to sit on so the bottoms wouldn’t get soggy.
Instead of using olive oil I used coconut oil and sprinkled the mushrooms tops and bottoms with Italian seasoning and placed them on the rings. I put them into the oven for 10 min at 400 degrees.
I added my sauce and toppings. Cream cheese, chicken and artichoke.
Add the cheese and I cooked for another 15 min.
Here is my finished product! I thought it was amazing and 1 filled me up!!